Monday, July 24, 2017

To plan or not to plan?

I've been wondering a lot lately about what's next for me. I mean, other than just working and being a mom. For so long, and I've probably said this here before, my world was all about singing. I was constantly absorbed with learning and training and performing, and other than working and family, I didn't have or make the time to persue much else. It's probably a good portion of the reason I'm single, and why I haven't finished my degree. I found my first calling and it took everything. Then I found my second calling - to be a mom - and that took, and will always, take everything, too. But now that we are living on our own again, I have discovered that between piles of laundry and dishes, playdates and swimming lessons, I have brain space again. I always have something to do, the "doing" for a single mom especially, is NEVER ending. But I don't always have something I have to do, at least not in that moment, or for a few moments at night. My life would be easier if everything was in order around me, but sometimes I am so tired that all I really can do is sit and watch Netflix or, if I'm honest, literally just sit in the quiet. Normally this would cause massive anxiety in me, that I wasn't getting something done - but right now, I feel okay about it. But I do wonder what's next. I'm looking into school again, just to know where I stand for going back, but mostly just to know what it would take. I have a moms group I sort of run, mostly just peripherally, but I have scheduled to host a few events this month. I would like to sing again, but right now I just want to not be committed to anything other than my family and my job.

Even with all of that, I've still made a plan, which is to have no real plan. I've committed to being okay with nothing very dramatic for the next 2 years, but also to bettering my physical health whenever I can over the next 3.5 years. I want to get my house in actual order and be super present for my son without the added stress of feeling "not enough" in the rest of my life. I won't deny that it will take a substantial and conscious effort, but I think it will be okay. I feel the pull of music, but don't want the pressure of it. I  just want to get outside whenever we can, or watch movies, or really, just read a book or hang out.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, do you still blog?
    Best regards,
    Dorothy from EggDonationFriends
    dorothy@oivfmedia.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Infrequently, unfortunately, but I'm trying to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete