Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Kindergarten - Class of 2031

We made it! I know, it should be "HE made it!" but honestly, these first years have also been all about me getting him to Kindergarten, so WE definitely made it. My high-energy, curious, and social little boy, who has been bored and not very happy about Pre-K/Daycare since November of last year, is truly loving his overall experience so far. He can stretch his mind and body, and is happy. Though he is also exhausted and far more emotional than usual, he's learning new things every day, and finds most of it just exciting. I desperately hopes he doesn't lose that enthusiasm, that it isn't replaced by cynicism which can happen faster than one imagines. The transition has been manageable, but also a bit stressful for us both. I am told by other mothers that this will get better and a bit easier as we go along. I hope so. I know, but now have also been told, he can be challenging - he talks A LOT, interrupts, and sometimes is drawn to other high-energy kids which can be disruptive to a learning environment. But I think he'll get better at managing that, the teachers will get to know him and get better at managing him, and I'll start to relax a bit more as time goes on.

I also find that these milestones and transitions highlight the part of single parenthood that is, well, single. Every time we do this, I have to find someone to share these amazing moments with - not always easy or welcomed - and am the only one there to absorb the enormous emotions that come with change. So for now, I'm just trying to keep us afloat and to navigate the learning curve until we both settle in to this new season.

No comments:

Post a Comment